Individuals who exhibit symptoms that correlate with narcissistic personality disorder should seek help from a psychiatrist in Lahore. Psychological problems can affect social and physical health. Therefore, one must seek help from a specialist. The psychiatrist will help understand the cause and provide a treatment plan accordingly.
A narcissistic personality disorder affects the thought process of the individual. There is an exaggerated feeling of self-importance. However, at the same time, the person has low self-esteem, which causes anxiety and affects personal and professional life.
Symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder
The symptoms of narcissistic personality disorder are:
- The person remains proud of their achievements. Additionally, the person has to show off their achievement at all times.
- The person feels and pretends to be superior to others. The body language proves that others are nothing in comparison to them.
- The person lacks empathy and responds rudely to others.
- The person mocks others, including friends and family, to prove they are inferior.
- The person remains angry at all times.
- The individual remains impatient while working with others.
- The person does not accept criticism.
- The person wants to have attention from everyone in the surrounding area. If the person does not get the desired importance, they feel disappointed.
- The person has delicate self-esteem.
Known Causes Correlating to Narcissistic Personality Disorder
The known causes of narcissistic personality disorder include:
- Nurturing can cause the person to suffer from a narcissistic personality disorder. Extreme criticism or pampering can lead to the feeling of exaggerated self-worth.
- The changes in the structure of the brain can cause the person to suffer from a narcissistic personality disorder.
- A family history of mental illness can contribute to the psychological disorder. If the person has a blood relative diagnosed with narcissistic personality disorder; the chances of suffering from the same disorder increase.
- People with broken families are more likely to suffer from a narcissistic personality disorder. Due to lack of attention, the person has a problem developing their personality.
The preventive measures include:
- Caregivers must understand the pros and cons of their actions. Strict parenting styles can cause the child to suffer from low self-esteem. Therefore, the nurturer must balance and avoid emotional and physical torture.
- The environment of the child plays a vital role in the development of the personality. Domestic violence can cause multiple problems.
- Alcohol and smoking correlate with NPD. Therefore, the person must eliminate both the habits to enhance psychological and physical health.
Complications Associated with Narcissistic Personality Disorder
The complications that correlate with Narcissistic Personality
The person has a poor relationship with their family members.
The person has a poor relationship at work that affects their professional growth and productivity.
Poor communication with others can lead to depression.
Anxiety can lead to alcohol abuse.
Diagnosing Narcissistic Personality Disorder
- The specialist with conduct will take the patient’s history to determine the cause and severity of the condition. Psychological testing will help confirm the diagnosis.
- The specialist will conduct a physical examination to rule out the possibilities of neurological illness. Neurological illness can cause the person to suffer from the symptoms that correlate with a narcissistic personality disorder.
Effective Treatment Options
The treatment options include:
- Use of Antidepressants: The medications help reduce anxiety and related symptoms.
- Use of Anti-anxiety Drugs: The medication has an impact on neurotransmitters that reduces anxiety.
Therapy and Self-Care
- Seek for Support: The person should understand their condition and share their feelings with their loved ones.
- Psychotherapy: The therapy aims to change the thought process. It helps to improve the relationship with family members.
Individuals who cannot function adequately and have poor relations with others at home and work should talk to the best psychiatrist in Karachi. The specialist will guide the patient to opt for the therapy to improve their condition.