Choosing football shoes may seem like an easy task, but it can actually be more challenging than expected. Not only do you have to ensure you choose the right size for your feet, but you also need to take a variety of other factors into consideration when making this decision. These factors include ones like which position you’ll be playing, what type of surface you’ll be playing on, and what your playing level is.
If you’re wondering how to go about choosing the right football shoes for your needs, don’t worry. This article will cover everything you need to know about choosing the right football shoes so that you can get ready to play in no time!
Consider the Surface
The first thing to consider when looking for football shoes is what surface you’ll be playing on. Depending on the type of surface, the type of boots you should look for will differ.
- Dry, firm surfaces: These are the types of shoes that should be considered when you’re playing on dry, natural grass. For this type of surface, you’ll need firm ground (FG) shoes that feature either traditional studs or blades on the bottom.
- Soft surfaces: If you’re playing on wet natural grass (such as during the monsoons) or on other soft, wet, and muddy surfaces, you should look for soft ground (SG) shoes. These shoes have screw-on studs and can be adjusted for height as needed. They are designed to reduce slippage and provide additional support to players.
- Hard surfaces: These shoes are designed for instances when you’re playing football on synthetic grass or other hard surfaces indoors. For these surfaces, you should choose hard ground (HG) shoes. These shoes have small rubber studs on the sole, and provide your feet with the additional support and cushioning they need on hard surfaces.
- Smooth surfaces: These shoes are the right choice when you’re playing on smooth indoor surfaces like smooth concrete and PVC. Indoor court (IC) shoes are designed with a smooth, non-marking sole so that you have a good grip while also being able to quickly change speed and direction as needed. They can be used when playing futsal or indoor football.
- Artificial grass: As the name implies, these shoes are designed for use when playing on artificial grass. Artificial grass (AG) shoes feature multiple short, hollow studs that are designed to provide your knees and joints with support and reduce the pressure placed on them while you play.
- Turf: If you’re playing on artificial turf, dirt, or gravel, you need turf (TF) shoes. These shoes feature an abrasion-resistant rubber outsole with numerous small studs and are designed to provide you with an even grip.
Think About Your Shoe Preference
Before you can consider your position, you should consider what you need out of your shoes the most – power, speed, or something else.
- Speed: If it’s speed you’re after, you should look for shoes that are lightweight and provide you with an adequate amount of traction.
- Power: To improve the power behind your kicks, you should look for football shoes that are solid but still allow your feet to bend naturally. This is especially important when it comes to your “dominant” foot (the foot you kick the ball with).
- Comfort: If you’re a casual player, you’re probably looking for a comfortable shoe over anything else. In this case, look for football shoes with a soft upper – leather is the best if you can find it.
- Control: If you want to have as much control over the ball as possible, you should look for shoes that provide you with a good connection to the ball while also offering superior friction and grip.
Consider Your Position
Now, it’s time for you to think about what position you play on your team. Each position has a different role during the game, and their needs from their football shoes are different. While you can probably get away with general football shoes if you’re only playing the occasional game of pick-up, keeping your position when picking your shoes in mind is essential if you want to improve your game.
- Goaltenders: Goaltenders are not only the last line of defense at preventing the ball from going into the net, but they’re also frequently called upon to take long goal kicks. Given these factors, you should look for shoes with a good padded upper that will help with your long kicks while still keeping you comfortable. You should also prioritize shoes that are comfortable and have a good grip.
- Fullbacks: In the modern game, fullbacks are meant to be good at both offense and defense. This increases the number of football shoes they can choose from. Ultimately, it depends on whether you’re more of an offensive player or defensive player – this is one position where your gameplaying preferences reign supreme.
- Center Backs: Center backs are meant to start the offense for the attacking team. This is why they need comfortable shoes that are protective while also offering good control. Shoes that offer good control are critical in helping you make precise passes to your wingers.
- Central Midfielders: Central midfielders are generally involved in both the offense and defense and are essential in helping to control the game. For this reason, you need shoes that provide you with great contact with the ball, as well as good stability, a clean striking surface, and comfort. You should also look for shoes with round or conical studs, as they help in making quick, stable turns on the field.
- Wingers: Wingers are goalscorers who are skilled at both pace and technique. For this reason, they need shoes with light uppers to increase precision, light studs and thin outsoles to allow them to maximize speed, and shoes that offer the best grip on the pitch possible.
- Attackers: Attackers need to maximize acceleration, stability, and accuracy. For this reason, their shoes should be ones with a clear striking surface, good stability, and a secure stud formation for good grip. They should also thin uppers and soles to increase agility.
Shoes are an essential part of playing football, and there are a number of considerations you should keep in mind when you buy football shoes. However, once you know what you’re looking for, future shopping will be as easy as pie for you!