The right accessories can transform a simple outfit into a showstopper. What is interesting is that you don’t have to depend on many pieces to look outstanding. In fact, one basic rule when accessorizing is to stick to the less is more mantra.
A simple, stunning pair of diamond cluster earrings, for example, can make you look elegant and chic. A diamond pendant necklace elongates the neck and gives the wearer a sophisticated look.
A Statista report shows that as of 2020, the jewelry market was worth $230 billion. Industry players expect the value to reach a staggering $307 billion by the end of 2026. The report goes further to talk about innovations in the jewelry sector. Such include lab-created diamonds, which will increase access and availability of such stones to a broader market. Such advancements could be a significant contributor to the ambitious projections for the jewelry industry.
Buying jewelry, especially high-priced ones, is a process that requires careful thought. You want to ensure that you are getting good quality, commensurate with your spending. Allow us to clarify this point by sharing special considerations to have when buying a necklace.
1. Necklace Design
The good part about shopping for necklaces is the tons of choices available. Personal preference dictates when it comes to design.
Chain necklaces, for instance, are pretty popular. You can go with a simple chain or one that has some embellishments. Gold or sterling silver chains will look great anytime, day or night.
If you want something trendy, go for a diamond tennis necklace. You get a practical yet ultra-chic necklace that you can wear on any occasion. Reputable sellers will have no issue customizing the design as you wish. You can choose from a wide range of shapes, precious metals and settings.
A diamond tennis necklace is also a fantastic gift for your partner since it is gender neutral. Indeed, go ahead and get a matching set for the both of you.
There are many designs when choosing the chain types. The options include beads, mesh, rope, cable, box and rolo, to name a few. The weight may vary depending on the style you go for.
Also, decide if you want a pendant or not. The advantage is there is the option of detachable pendants. You can wear your rose gold chain during the day and slip on the diamond pendant for a fancier evening event.
Solitaire diamond pendants are very stylish and trendy. Make it more interesting with different colored gemstones and shapes.
2. Necklace Material
As we have hinted above, you have a wide selection of necklace materials. Consider a durable material if you will spend a good chunk of change. You want a necklace that will last a long time.
It also helps to know what you may be allergic to. Some metals, for instance, can irritate the skin. Hypoallergenic metals include copper, fine/sterling and stainless steel, 18k gold, platinum and titanium.
Avoid plated metals that may contain nickel, which is the main culprit behind contact dermatitis. You don’t want an itchy, red rash on your neck during or after wearing the necklace.
3. Learn the Necklace Lengths
The perfect necklace collection includes varying lengths of necklaces. After all, you can never have too many beautiful pieces. The necklace guide for ladies is as follows:-
- 14 inches is the choker style necklace
- 16 inches fits like a collar and sits around the neck base. Do note, though, that body size matters. For larger ladies, a 16-inch necklace may fit more like a choker.
- 18 inch sits right at the collarbone
- 20 inches falls below the collarbone
- 22 inches reaches the top of the bust
Please note the above are just industry guidelines to lengths. You can go as long as you wish for a more dramatic look. Rope chains, for instance, can be over 30 inches in length. It allows you to wear it as is or drape it several times around the neck. That way, you get different looks from one excellent investment.
4. Physical Characteristics When Choosing Necklace Lengths
Choosing the right necklace length can make a huge difference in how you look. So consider the following:
- Neck size: You only need a tape measure around your neck to know the size. Add at least two inches if buying a choker. If you have a pendant as well, add four inches.
- Neck length: Stay away from chokers if you have a short neck. You will end up looking like you have no neck at all. Create an elongating effect with the longer lengths.
- Height: a very long necklace on a short frame will not look good. It can end up looking like the piece is dominating your frame. Mid height ranging from 5”4 and above can wear any length.
- Body type: Take note of your bust measurements when choosing the length. For smaller busts, layered, longer necklaces will work great. Anything below the bust line on the more generously proportioned will not hang well. Go for an 18 to 22-inch length instead.
- Face shape: the right necklace shape will have a framing effect on your face. Use the necklace to draw the eyes away from any facial features you don’t like. A choker necklace, for instance, will make a round face look rounder. But the same will look fantastic on a long face by softening the shape.
You can decide on different types of clasps for necklaces. There are those with adjustable threads, while others have links.
The most important considerations are the strength of the clasp and ease of use. You could lose your necklace due to a weak clasp. It also doesn’t help if putting on the necklace seems more like a sporting event.
Longer necklace lengths may require no clasp at all. But you can also find shorter stretchable ones that you can slip over your head without too much effort.
You might never have considered how much effort can go into buying simple jewelry like a necklace. But, from our article, you can see there is quite a bit to consider.
For high-priced pieces like diamond tennis necklaces, buy from reputable dealers. You want the assurance of quality, craftsmanship and authenticity. You don’t want to lose money to thousands of scammers looking for unsuspecting buyers.